Whether you're planning a game for your child's birthday party or need a fun indoor activity for a rainy day, nothing beats a good ol' fashioned scavenger hunt. And while you'll find plenty of scavenger hunt ideas for kids online, sometimes it's even more fun to put together your own from scratch (especially if you want to customize it!). The first step, of course, is picking out the items that'll serve as clues for your hunt, and after that comes the trickier part: writing your scavenger hunt riddles. Feeling stuck? We've got plenty of scavenger hunt riddle ideas to help get you started, and they're perfect for kids of all ages.
Do you know what household item gets wetter as it dries? How about the item that has blades but isn't a knife? Like all the best riddles, your scavenger hunt clues should challenge kids to think outside the box... but won't leave them scratching their heads for hours. And while your riddles don't have to rhyme, it's definitely a bonus when they do. Ready to get started on your DIY scavenger hunt? Here are plenty of kid-friendly riddles that'll get little ones thinking, laughing, and — most importantly — working together as a team.
- I have four legs but no feet.
- When you're tired, have a seat.
- I’ll protect you on a stormy day.
- Put me down, and I’ll blow away.
- Tall and thick, all homes have me.
- To get me open, you’ll need a key.
- I tend to get wetter as I dry.
- Before you shower, hang me nearby.
- Give me a tap and I’ll give you some suds.
- I come in handy when you're covered in mud.
- This flat box stores color and sound.
- In the living room, it can be found.
- You fill me up and drain when done.
- Add some bubbles for extra fun.
- Soft and plump, I’ll be right here.
- Throughout your dreams, you’ll keep me near.
- I keep your books safe in my pack.
- Just zip me up — I've got your back.
- Take a look at my reflection.
- You'll be met with your complexion.
- When you're hungry, give me bread.
- It'll turn to toast and get you fed.
- I have blades but I’m not a knife.
- Want to cool down? Just bring me to life.
- Inside me, you'll find coats and shoes.
- Keep me tidy so you know whose are whose.
- My chime can be loud or it can be soft.
- It’s time to get up, when I go off.
- I am a space that’s built for a car.
- Inside me is where the lawn tools are.
- Food too cold? I can give it a zap.
- I heat up popcorn and other snacks.
- By the TV I can be found.
- Push my buttons, and I'll give you sound.
- Dirty clothes go in this machine.
- Whites or colors, it'll soak them clean.
- I have legs but fold up flat.
- I keep clothes crisp without the laundromat.
- I'm always ready to make a milkshake.
- To put your hand in me would be a mistake.
- I have teeth but don't have a mouth.
- Use me to get your hair tangles out.
- Turn me on when it’s dark at night.
- My brightness beats out candlelight.
- I can’t mix batter, but I can bake a treat.
- Just make sure I have time to preheat.
- I’m a paste that doesn’t glue.
- Twice a day my cap you unscrew.
- I’m not a pole, but I have a flag.
- I'm filled up with letters from a bag.
Corinne Sullivan is a digital writer and editor who covers a variety of beats, including lifestyle, entertainment, sex and relationships. She can tell you everything you need to know about the love lives of A-listers, the coziest bedsheets, and the sex toys actually worth your $$$. Before joining Cosmopolitan, she was a sex and dating editor at Elite Daily. She is also the author of Indecent (Wednesday Books, 2018). You can follow her on Instagram.